Who should attend?
EMAC is a mandatory course for all ANZCA trainees and is also accredited for Continuing Professional Development points and emergency response activities for Fellows and Provisional Fellows by the College. Anaesthetic trainees and GP anaesthetic trainees must have completed a minimum of one year of accredited training prior to attending the course. It is expected that the participants on the course would be capable of providing anaesthesia to a simple emergency case such as an appendicectomy without direct supervision.
Why complete the course?
The course introduces anaesthetists to the Non-Technical Skills required for managing clinical emergencies. It provides strategies for using the available resources to lead and coordinate team activities and communicate effectively during emergencies.
In addition, EMAC revises the technical skills and requirements for handling common and life threatening situations during anaesthetic care. The course updates the participants on emergency management procedures and discusses the practical application of clinical algorithms during time-pressured events.
- 3 day course (Thursday to Saturday).
- Hours of course is 8am to 5pm on Thursday and Friday and 8am to 1pm on the Saturday.
- Course is held at Epworth HealthCare in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
- The course often has a mix of consultants, trainees and GP anaesthetists.
- Pre-reading material is emailed approximately 5 weeks prior to the course.
- Certificate emailed at the end of the course.
What is included?
The following areas are included in the course.
- Human Factors and Human performance in anaesthetic care
- Cardiovascular emergencies
- Airway emergencies
- Anaesthetic emergencies
- Trauma management for the anaesthetist
Pre-reading material is emailed approximately five weeks prior to the course.
Course Hours and Location
The course is conducted over two and half days from 8am to 5pm on Thursday and Friday, and 8am to 1pm on the Saturday.
Catering is provided. Car parking is not provided and limited.
The course is held at:Epworth HealthCare - Clinical Education and Simulation Centre.
Level 5, Cato Wing
89 Bridge Road
Richmond VIC 3121
COVID-19 Information: Given the unpredictability of COVID-19 and any subsequent border closures, scheduled EMAC Courses may be impacted and/or cancelled. For registrants affected, refunds will be provided or a course transfer if available.
ANZCA: EMAC is accredited for 40 points (20 hours x 2 points per hour) in the knowledge and skills category in addition to both CICO and Cardiac Arrest emergency response activities.
ACRRM: 10 MOPS points
Ms. Aushra Saldukasmedemail@example.com
Ms. Catherine Pound
03 9903 0321
Ms. Tess VawserTess.Vawser@epworth.org.au
$2850 (incl. GST)
To register please click on the hyperlink for the appropriate month.
- January – Thu 28, Fri 29 and Sat 30 (Completed)
- February – Thu 25, Fri 26 and Sat 27 (Course full)
- May – Thu 20, Fri 21 and Sat 22 (Course full)
- June 17-19
- July 15-17
- August 12-14
- September 9-11
- November 11-13
- December 2-4
- Up to four weeks before the Course
- 100% Refund
- Two to four weeks before the Course
- 50% Refund
- Less than two weeks before the Course
- No Refund